Monday, June 4, 2012

A picture was worth a thousand words

I saw a photo last week that has made me pause and rethink some things.

It was actually a series of pictures of me in a pool with my 80-something grandmother.  They were taken during a visit last summer when I felt unhappy about being out of shape, unhappy with my body.

They’re silly pics as we’re both wearing big matching sunhats and oversized sunglasses.  In the first my grandmother is making a humourous exaggerated pose – shoulders back, chest out, stomach in.  And the next one we’re both laughing and the third one is the two of us, smiling looking at the camera.

I was struck by a couple of thoughts as I looked at the pictures and thought about that visit
·         I love her lots and am so lucky to still have her alive
·         How great it is that she is still active 
·         How I didn’t look awful, in fact I think I look quite ok and wish I wasn’t so hard on myself then (and now)
·         How when I'm 80-something I don't want to still be counting carbs and calculating calories burned

It’s the final two that are new realizations, and that have caused the greatest shift in my thoughts, I want to absorb them and hold on to them. 

So I don't know what I'm doing with this blog - a reworking of some sort is required - I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment