Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Real spring cleanse

I’ve been on a break lately. I ditched my calorie and carb counting habits and we had no internet at home for a few weeks so I found other things to do in the evenings like bike rides and I got to bed earlier consistently – I’m thinking of it as a spring cleanse. 

I have been feeling really good about my fitness and appearance.  I still play around with recipes and new foods (ideas for okra anyone? Any good food sources of Vitamin E?). I can tell from the fit of clothes that I’m not slimming but I’ve been able to do hills more easily lately on my bike. And I’m getting faster again at TKD speed drills. 

I haven’t been on the scale in a while but I was curious so I weighed myself this morning (last three mornings actually) and the result – up 6 pounds from the start of the month.  And you know what - I don’t care, I know I’m eating well and am active and feeling good and an “overweight” BMI is no measure of that. I’ve decided that as I’m healthy I’m going to try and stay away from the scale and stop evaluating my fitness and my appearance based on it or whether or not I fit in a pair of jeans.

I read this book a couple of years ago but it just sunk in a couple of weeks ago (http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-973/10-Powerful-Quotes-from-Women-Food-and-God.html) but, but, but I’m not trying to preach or convert anyone. This is an individual thing and it's because what I was doing wasn’t working for me in that it wasn’t making me happier. I was spending too much brain energy on calculating and tracking and time on worrying about how and when and if I’d fit them again.  Rather than what my real goal was – to feel good. And since I feel that without the jeans so be it. Maybe I’ll frame them with pics from my trip and make some sort of “collage” .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U

1 comment:

  1. You know girl, there's nothing wrong with that. I know that I need to lose some more weight but I am not focusing on that souly. I am working on just getting healthy and fit and the weight will follow. I have put the scale away for the summer and will weigh in before school starts. I am active and eating much better so we'll just see how it all goes.
    You take care of yourself and have a blessed afternoon!

    ReplyDelete