At various times in the recent past I've put off exercising. I've told myself that I've been held back by work schedules, weather, money but the real reason has been fear.
Fear that what was once a fun challenge will be hard, that I'll struggle with even a short run, that my strength reps will be low, that I'll pull something, that I'll be gasping for air. I've held back because I know that for a while I won't be able to do the same speed or distance and I've been afraid of feeling of less.
Professionally, personally and physically (concussions) I've had a tumultuous two years and so I've wanted to coast, take it easy. Because I wasn't sure I could keep all the balls in the air and the fear of not succeeding froze me.
However, like so many other things I've been afraid of it's seldom as awful as I think it'll be. And regardless it's better to just face it and get started and get through it.
Ever hear the legend of the buffalo? As told to Donna Brazile...when storms hit and other animals run from them...buffalos charge at them and get through the storm faster.
So that's what I'm going to do...put on the sneakers and go for a run, the first of many.
Awesome work!!! I know you'll enjoy it! :)
ReplyDeleteHeather
Thanks...I feel a little silly (it's just a run) but needed and fits in with other things I'm trying to act on (as you know)
ReplyDelete