Monday, February 20, 2012

More on Belly Dancing

I've had 6 belly dance classes and I enjoy it so much, the shimmies, the sashays, the music.  It has improved my posture and freed the tightness in my neck and shoulders, strengthened my core and are mucles. Last night we did a lot of 'hip snaps" which is kind of the motion you use to push a car door or drawer closed with your hip and to make it really "snappy" you have to tighten the glutes. After the class I could feel it, but in a good way like a butt-lift.

Like this.

I also really enjoy the chance to move in a "pretty" way.  I was always a bit of a tomboy and did sports over dance growing up so I never felt particularly graceful.   And yes the class is supportive and encouraging and welcoming of all shapes and sizes and I can see it's very much "what you do with it, rather than what you have". And that feels great. 

I hope she runs another session soon,  I don't think I'd ever want to perform but this is something I want to keep up.

2 comments:

  1. I was invited to try belly dancing but I am afraid at 180 lbs I'd look like an elephant trying to wiggle. I just not confident enough to do this. I am very proud of you and love hearing all that you've done. Just seeing the strength in your writing I can see a big difference. I'm sorry I haven't stopped by in a bit, I'll try to do better. You know my dear, if you'd like to, you could put the follow by e-mail and I wouldn't miss your updates, just a thought.
    I wish you well. Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I've been feeling it so I'm glad it's come through.
      Oh not a worry, life is busy, you do a lot and as I said...I get a lot of encouragement from your postings.

      Thanks for the tip about adding the "follow by email" I didn't know about it and now have below the about section.

      Delete