Today a colleague who has started the 17dd asked me if I was looking forward to day 18. But in the last few days I’ve been thinking this style of eating is something I may keep. Because I’m not following it as prescribed I’m not worried about the negative results of a long term low carb or low calorie diet. (bad breath from ketosis, nutrition gaps, constipation, underweight). So in the next cycle (days 18-34) I’m curious to note what adding certain foods to my diet will do to my energy and hunger levels and my general feeling of wellness.
Even with the total exceptions to the guidelines that I’ve had (mother’s day and today some of the treats of a visiting international students) I have a sense of accomplishment of making a plan and following through with it. Especially for someone like me who ponders and debates and dithers a lot before I ever actually do something. (Seriously, I’ve done decision trees for my personal life)
What is interesting is other people’s reactions. My immediate family is understanding, they know I felt better a couple of years ago on a low sugar diet. But some friends and acquaintances are less helpful even if they mean well. My roommate, who has done it (down 10 pounds through cycle 3) and helpful in some ways has also made a few quips about my alterations to the plan, but that’s her issue not mine. (gosh look at me, all mature and wise)
What I don’t know how to respond to is other acquaintences. If/when asked (I used to rarely eat salads at work) and I say I’m doing the 16+1 day thing a common response is “diets don’t work” or “ you don’t need to diet/ lose weight”. And then I feel the need to justify myself and I worry that I’ll say something that makes it seem like I think they should lose weight too. But it’s so individual – there are several friends/colleagues whose physique (smaller and larger than mine) or features I admire and yet they may have things they don’t like or want to change. So I’ve started saying (when asked) I’m doing a “spring cleanse”, that seems to have a more neutral reaction.
No comments:
Post a Comment