Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hunger Banquet

I'm off to a fundraiser for Oxfam and our local foodbank, a dinner titled "hunger banquet".  The concept is people buy tickets for a dinner and entertainment/education not knowing which "class" they will end up with.  First - full meal, nice table setting.  Second - beans and rice, plain table. Third - just rice, no tables.

So I'm sitting here having a little snack in case I end up with the rice only option...I don't want to end up diving across the "class - divide" and fighting someone for a drumstick.  A gal can only eat so much rice...not a big fan..., there's a little story behind it, I'll tell you later...it involves my grandpa and the war...ooooh cliffhanger eh?)

Happy dining, when next I write I'll have some knowledge of food security issues, global economic disparity and have a full belly.


Edit:
I ended up in the low income group. So I had water and rice. But then some of the middle-income group felt guilty and shared their beans and rice combo (nicely done with a little spice) so it ended up to be an ok meal afterall.  Good discussions.  

Oh and the rice story is basically, my grandpa joined the navy in WWII and on the ships the main starch staple was rice (at first quite an exotic treat for a farm/fisher kid).  However by the time he left the navy he didn't want to eat rice again. And that was passed down to my mom - so it hasn't really worked itself into the familial recipes.  Then in university I used rice as my main cheap staple and substituted it willy-nilly.  (Pesto and rice...not so good)

4 comments:

  1. Cool concept! I look forward to where you'll end up.

    You'll always be first class with me! hehe..

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather...glad you think so...the banquet people disagreed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, thats a gamble. I have to admit, if I ended up in the nice food group, I probably would have had everyone in the very poor group invited up to my table. it's funny you posted this, as I had just posted this.
    http://mizunogirl.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/hungry-in-america/ this morning. Guess we are thinking the same thing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great way to have a fund raiser and to raise awarness too. The same thing about my great grandpa. Hated rice so we never had it at their house and rarely at my grandma's house because when I came along gr. grandpa was at their house.
    Take care and have a blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete