Friday, December 2, 2011

Goals

What are yours?

As I asked earlier (why blog?) what is the purpose of writing a blog.  And for many it is to help the writer state and realize a goal. The goals are varied - some weight related, or physical measurements or race times or distances run, and some are reading lists or financial planning or health related or artisitic.   Some are a life's or month's to do list of activities and achievements. 

 I've seen some awesome lists go down "strike-through" font, bullet by bullet. And the satisfaction from them has got to keep us all going.

I know of some women who have a goal to get pregnant or become a surgeon or be a millionaire by age 40.   And maybe they aren't all going to be met, life happens, priorities change (stocks plummet), but I think there is something very intrinsic in our nature to set goals. To reach for what seems impossible sometimes.

And I think I need to get more concrete in my goals and how I'm going to get there.  I've been reading about goal setting and know the whole "SMART" goal trick (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely) and so I'm going to do some additional revisions as I go along.  (the jeans are still waiting!)

So in the next week (7 days)- I will a mix of home and work
  • buy a gym membership (no more weather excuses to not exercise)
  • go grocery shopping (I've been slacking and eating out or making meals out of canned food regularly)
  • 3 shared meals
  • go to the farmer's market
  • move blue dresser
  • 7 sets (usually morning) exercises - leg and core
  • confirm entertainment for convocation
  • confirm speaker
  • pick and prepare outfits for convocation and banquet
  • find/arrange background music for banquet
  • arrange two practices with valedictorian
I'll report on them next week.
 
So go on with your goal-setting, big dreaming, list makin, record-smashing selves.

3 comments:

  1. SMART goals are one way for things to work! I try to make mine all small and SMART. But of course there is also the "big" goals....

    Good Luck with your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to work on next years list. First for me is to finish this challenge, get into my dress and then enjoy Christmas with my family, daycare wee ones and friends.
    Your list is good, keep up the great work. Take care and have a blessed week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Oh gosh yes, I keep trying to find that mix of small immediate (one foot in front of the other type) goals and grand, horizon stretching, years in the making and achieving goals.

    And good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete