Tuesday, December 13, 2011

And then came the tears

Wow – I am just through a really busy week at work – with many highlights and no real lowlights  – the public concert/ entertainment night was excellent – it rocked.  Things looked great, ran smoothly (for the most part)  and even though I forgot to decorate the Xmas tree – some people thought it was deliberate and appropriate (it was a beautiful tree).  The evening had such great energy, I had two ladies come up to me and say they hadn’t had been to a party like that in years.

The banquet the next day was also a success – the food was great (arugala salad, salmon with spicy spinach or stuffed Portobello mushrooms and local apple cheesecake tart) , the banquet servers did well and with a bunch of inspirational speakers and one who challenged the audience to match donations and we somehow started a fundraising effort and suddenly we’re up to $5000 for a student scholarship.  (that is still knocking my socks off)

So a good night, but it could have been “tighter”,  I was not as organized, candles, music were forgotten, VIP guests showed up late (delaying the whole thing) , I was just too zapped from the night/week before to put in my full effort.  

And then the goodbyes – I was fine, giving hugs, wishing good travels and then one gal gave me a hug and I started crying. Completely burst into tears! And then she did. The tears were running down my face, dripping off my cheeks, or following the smile lines to my lips – I tasted the salt.  I couldn’t stop – the others around us didn’t know what to do, I was shocked – I didn’t expect it.  I’m not one to cry at goodbyes, I stay in touch with friends far away and I’m still naïve enough to think I’ll always see people again (no matter how far) so I am not usually affected by goodbyes.  I think this was more a stress reliever than anything. 

And eventually they stopped and I felt better, the pressure was decreased, the tightness in my shoulders and neck loosened.  And then we got a picture together “two watering cans” and off she went and I continued on with the clean-up and tear down of the event.   

So all in all a good weekend.  I met my parents went for a walk along the harbor on Sunday, gathered some branches and assorted flora for a decorative planter, then helped them wash some windows and then I went home and slept.  I took yesterday off and did more of the same (putter, walk, sleep).  I still feel a little drained, a little-unfocussed but feel so good to have it behind me, and I’ve gotten lots of congrats from my team since.

I'm looking towards finding a little more balance in the coming weeks and months.  How do people work whole-heartedly and have other commitments like a dependant family, school or volunteer commitments? I’ve seen it but I can’t picture how I’d do both (and more). To those of you who do – way to go! 

2 comments:

  1. I wonder the same thing about parents with a couple of kids, jobs and extra-curricular activities - how do they fit it all in! Calendars on fridges - that's how! :)

    Glad the events went really well!!

    :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fridge calendar - that's the ticket - I'll see if I can pick one up at the mall! :-)

    Thanks...me too.

    ReplyDelete