Saturday, January 21, 2012

The more the merrier

I’ve been naval-gazing lately and thinking about what has “worked” for me in the past in terms of health and fitness.  And also what hasn’t worked. 
I’ve enjoyed and got the most from exercise when it was through a team sport or group classes (ultimate frisbee, running room, TKD clubl).  And not as much by going to a gym or running on my own. I don't seem to stick with it or put the same effort in.  And as I'm also trying to improve my social life I'm on the hunt for another class/club to add to the belly dance. 
The choices are slim in a small town (besides yoga and hockey) but I'm going to check out a taekwondo club on Monday. They look good on the website; organized and with legit credentials. I’m looking forward to it, if a little nervous… it’s been 10 years since I took a class. And I'm out of shape. But, but...I've got to stop letting "being out of shape" keep me from doing things that will "get me in shape". 
And I've already decided I'll just say at the start that I won't be sparring. I was always more a fan of the pad kicking and the forms, the fighting - meh. I wasn't very good at it either.  
I can still count to 10 in Korean and give the important yell - which kind of ends up sounding like “Ah-soo” or an accented a**hole.  So really - I’m all set. 

2 comments: